About Me

My photo
I am a wife, mother, daughter, christian, veterinary technician. I love my family. I love to bake. I love crafts. I am not a writer.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Breakfast in Bulk

This past weekend we made our monthly trek to the buy-in-bulk store. We always come out with large quantities of things that make me happy like flour, sugar, cinnamon, and baking powder. Not to mention the GIANT package of yeast that I have used for over a year without running out (I do make a lot of bread and rolls.) We have saved so much money shopping like this, and also save the hassle of buying a 5 lb bag of flour every two weeks. Another thing I love about shopping there is the lunch of a hot dog and cherry Coke for little over a dollar. Can't beat it!




Ok, to get back on the topic.  My husband goes through breakfast  phases where he eats the same thing for breakfast for months at a time. His current staple is a bowl of granola with plain yogurt on top. Now, if you have ever bought granola from the cereal isle, you know that it comes in very small quantities and is quite expensive. That sent me on the search for an alternative that I could make for a fraction of of the price. After a little bit of tweaking, this is what I have come up with. We buy all of these ingredients at the wholesale club in large quantities. The oats are sold in a 9 lb box, the honey in a 5 lb bottle, but we go through it about every two months.




Here is the basic recipe. This granola is very versatile. I have added nuts and breakfast cereals such as Cheerios or Wheaties. It also would be good with dried fruits or chocolate chips (added after baking of course), or anything else you like with your granola.
When I make this I usually double the recipe to keep from having to make it  as often.

Breakfast Granola
4 cups oats, quick cooking or regular
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla


Preheat oven to 300F. In a large bowl, stir together oats cinnamon and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together oil, honey and vanilla. Pour oil mixture over oats and mix well, making sure to get all of the oats at the bottom of the bowl wet. Spread evenly on a large cookie sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Stir granola and bake 10-12 minutes more until granola is golden. Once granola has cooled, make sure to store in an air tight container.
<script type="text/javascript" src="//assets.pinterest.com/js/pinit.js"></script>

No comments:

Post a Comment